Dec 31 Layup: Head tube, Bottom Bracket, and Seat Tube to Top Tube

Plys cut and staged. Head tube group on right, then Bottom Bracket group on left.







4 squirts of resin later...

Fabric and tow for the top tube to seat tube transition... including the upper link pivot and shock mount.

Everything is wrapped ready for overnight cure. On these cold nights I bring the frame inside for a reasonable ambient temperature.

Hard New Years Eve day of work. Sushi.

Happy 2018 indeed; it is 18F outside with snow flurries, so the garage is not conducive to productivity. It kinda felt xmas-esque unwrapping this on the floor in my PJs. Just what I wanted, a carbon composite monocoque frame custom built to replace the aluminum front triangle on my Rocky Mountain Element full suspension MTB. How'd Santa know?
Minimal buckling on the bottom side of the downtube, but otherwise it looks fantastic. I am finished with the structural layers. As soon as the temperature is agreeable, I will sand and apply aesthetic wraps without compression for final finishing.

Comments