Sanding the Run-Off Carbon from the Hard-Points

The carbon which ran off the frame onto the plugs now needed to be sanded flush.



Using a Dremel I carefully sanded the run-off flush with the pivots, heat tube, and bottom bracket. I took care not to sand the actual hard-point face, as that is exactly where it needs to be. Only the surrounding composite was removed and shaped flush.





Here is the only problem I see so far. The main pivot is offset to the non-drive side for crank/chain-ring clearance. This brings the drive-side face of the pivot almost to a point of recess into the main seat tube to down tube transition shape.
I did have complete design control over this area, so I was conscious to allow adequate clearance. However, that clearance resulted in a near-concave surface, and during layups it seems I was not diligent enough to respect the offset nature of the pivot ...and added too much carbon.

I tried blending the recessed face up to the final surface of the frame here. I'll test-fit the rear frame before blending more.

A light sanding with 400 grit on a hard and flat block.


Build-up is near.

Comments

  1. Looking good! Hoping for some good ride reports, thanks for sharing this project. I believe your experiences will be helpful to me in an upcoming project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment